Skip to main content
#
TOWN OF FARMINGTON

Home
Site Map
Home
BUDGETS
Home Town Board
About the Supervisor
Supervisor News Releases
Contact Us
Supervisor / Town Board
Town Board Agendas & resolutions
Town Board Minutes
Comprehensive Plan Update
Planning Board Agendas
Planning Board Minutes
Zoning Board Agendas
Zoning Board Minutes
Agricultural Advisory Minutes
Farmland Protection Plan Advisory Committee
Recreation Commission Minutes
Conservation Board Minutes
Historical Preservation Minutes
Solid Waste Committee
Solar Committee
Meetings / Agendas / Minutes
Home
New Development
Comprehensive & Recreation Master  Plan
Site Design Critera / Application/Forms
Public Announcements
Planning Board
Zoning Board
FAQ
Contact us
Major Thoroughfare Overlay District
 Planning /Building/ Zoning Dept.
Recreation Programs
Events Calendar
Recreation Advisory Board
Photo Gallery
Summer Recreation
Contact Information
Senior Citizens
Recreation Department
Home
Applications & Regulations
Annual Water Quality Report
Water & Sewer Rates
Sewer Treatment Plant
FAQ
Contact Us
Water & Sewer
Home
2022 Fall Town Cleanup
MS4 Storm Water Managment Info.
Cornell Roads Program
Frequently Used Forms & Schedules
FAQ's
Contact us
Highway/Parks
Home
Making A Payment?
Park Reservations
Links & Forms
FOIL
Contact us
Town Clerk
Home
Frequently Used Forms & Instructions
FAQ
Contact us
Assessor
Contact Us
Auburn Trail Study
Farmland Protection Committee
Park Planning Advisory Committee
Home
FAQ
Important links
Contact us
Town Court
Seniors
Pictures
Historic Preservation Commission
Historical Society
History
Services, Other Boards ETC;


Town Of Farmington

Farmington was established in 1788 and was named after Oliver Phelps hometown in Connecticut.  The land stretched north to Sodus Bay, east to the Preemption line, west to the Genesee River and south about 60 miles north of the Pennsylvania border.  The first sale of land made from the Phelps and Gorham tract was to American Revolution veterans, patriots of the War and members of the Society of Friends (Quaker) faith. Most were from the Berkshire county in Massachusetts.  Township No.11, range 3, of the great tract, is today's Farmington. 

Their purchase embraced  land in parts of southern Wayne county (Macedon Center and Palmyra) and the area of Bert, Township 12, range 2 (later known as the Town of Manchester).   The first town meeting was held in 1797 at Nathan Aldrich's home.  From 1800 to 1821, the two government bodies  from range 2 and 3 met in a tavern located on State Street in Manchester.  Until incorporation, the two towns worked together  to lay out the school and road infrastructures for not only their own towns but those roads leading into Phelpstown, Palmyra and Macedon Center.   Beginning in 1821,  townships  officially incorporated and town borders were set off. 

During the time that  early settlers were formulating official townships and its government, the Society of Friends (Quakers within the northwest quadrant of range 3) and the early Baptists pioneers  established churches of their own faith. Both churches hold services today.   When the two townships incorporated, the Quaker church became the single most influential diety to Farmington's historical image.    

Historian

Office Hours Tuesday 10 am - 2 pm, other days by appointment only

Donna Hill-Herendeen

(Email: farmhistorian@yahoo.com)  Facebook: Farmington Town Historian

Available Information

We are adding to archival information continually.  Available to researchers and the public includes the following:

  • Cemetery inventories for  North Farmington, South Farmington, Hathaway, New Salem and Power
  • Military records beginning with the Revolutionary War
  • Cobblestone buildings: histories and photos 
  • Maps
  • Farmington history (several authors) 
  • Personal papers of the families: Allen, Lapham, Gardner, Hathaway, Herendeen, Comstock, Power, Padgham, Payne, Aldrich, Bowe, Allen  and so many more......
  • Genealogical files
  • Oral Interviews 
  • Churches
  • The Quaker influence
  • Books (old and new)
  • Photo Albums
  • Artifacts (Quaker bonnets, bottles, journals and more!)
  • Scrapbooks, letters and documents

Material and Resources:

Town of Farmington
1000 County Road 8
Farmington, NY 14425
315-986-8100
Highway & Parks Department
985 Hook Road
Farmington, NY 14425

315-986-5540
Water & Sewer Department
1216 McMahon Road
Victor, NY 14564
585-924-3158
Farmington Town Court
1023 Hook Road
Farmington, NY 14425
315-986-8195